Hazy on the details.


            Posted on Jan 4,2009 

            Hazy on the details.

Q.   I was in the hospital when my wife served me with divorce papers. Within 24 hours after getting out of the hospital, while under medication, I was convinced by my wife to sign papers giving her the house and everything else except $25,000 - this after I paid for her to get her degree in nursing

Was it legal for her to serve me while I was in the hospital or to get me to sign while I was under medication? Is there anything I can do to get more money from her

F.T., Lunenburg

A.   No law protects you from being served with a divorce while hospitalized. I assume, from what you say, you signed either a separation agreement or a deed to the house. Your signature had to be acknowledged before a Notary Public. If the Notary thought you were under the influence of medication or not competent, your signature would not have been notarized.

A separation agreement had to be approved by a probate court judge. The judge would have asked if, when you signed the agreement, you knew about all the finances and if, while standing in court, you agreed the settlement was fair and reasonable under all the circumstances. If you said the deal wasn't fair, the agreement would not have been approved.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll also assume you left out many important details. Next time, don't shoot with blanks.