Visitation wanted.


            Posted on  Apr 19,2009   

            Visitation wanted.

Q.     I got divorced without getting visitation rights with my kids.
About a year ago, my ex-wife moved with the kids to New York.
How do I get visitation rights?

 R.R., Charlton

A. Once your kids were outside Massachusetts for six months, the commonwealth lost all power to modify visitation and custody. All other states keep that right if one parent remains in the first forum.

You need a certified copy of your divorce judgment from the court.
Next, hire a good family law attorney in or near the city or town where your ex now lives. Then file a complaint for modification.

Finally, you'll need to prove there's been a substantial change in circumstances since the divorce.